Sunday, April 1, 2007

I Heart Atticus.

There are certain books that everybody probably "read" in school (as tragic as the idea of "reading" in quotations is to me) that they need to take a second look at as adults. Today I am plugging "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee for the following reasons:

1. It is the most beautiful rendition of growing up...especially if you were the kind of kid who sought high adventure in the creek by your house or made up stories to make life more interesting.

2. Published in 1960 and taking place in the 1930s, its treatment of civil rights and justice is poetic.

3. Atticus Finch is my hero and maybe he should be yours, too.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Agreed on Mockingbird, and today I am immersed in Bridge to Terabithia ... seriously, why is there an age when we stop reading "school books"?!?!

Liz said...

I completely concur. Atticus Finch must be one of the heroic and notable men in literature. :-) And that is absolutely my favorite book!