Sunday, June 17, 2007

"It is my belief... that the truth is generally preferable to lies."

~J.K. Rowling, "The Beginning," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2000, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore


Devouring is probably the best verb to describe my current re-reading of the 5th book in the Harry Potter series, The Order of the Phoenix. Without fail, these books literally transport me from whatever else I am doing into the world of magic. This may be to a fault, though, because there's a chance that I may or may not, sometimes, use them as an escape mechanism or at least read well past what should be any teacher's bedtime.

A friend of mine recently said that what she likes the best about book 5 is the community that is within it. I haven't stopped thinking about it since (see above and my tendency to be dragged in). However, rather than bordering on obsessive, it has reminded me of the importance of being surrounded by people who are fighting your fight with you. In the book, the adults who know the truth about Voldemort have banded together as The Order of the Phoenix to share that truth and to work against him. At Hogwarts, Harry is finally able to find comfort in the DA-a group designed to teach students to protect themselves against Voldemort. This is the only place where Harry does not feel like a crazy person; where he knows that there are people who believe him and who are rallying for truth. I've noticed this in my own life, as well. When I spend time with people who want to live life differently than how popular culture tells us to, I find myself more secure in my desire for that as well, and more energized to actually follow through.


I've also mentioned before my love of Albus Dumbledore. He is the headmaster of Hogwarts and the only wizard Voldemort is afraid of. As the series progresses, he does more and more things that seem outrageous and appear not to make any sense. But Hermione says it best: "If we can't trust Dumbledore, who can we trust?" Like Hermione, Harry and Ron, I have found that I love the feeling of being safe even when life is swirling and not making sense. I love knowing that someone True and Real is taking care of the bigger picture.

Sigh. It is 10:35 have been reading since about 7:30. (And yes, this is one of the most perfect ways to spend a Sunday night.) That being said, I'm going to end my ramblings here. I could carry on for quite a while, though. But seriously, I just needed to share my love of Harry with you.

3 comments:

katy said...

Kristen, I am in love with Harry Potter, and I wish my books were here at the beach. Remember when I hated them? I love good vs. evil, I love Dumbledore and his passion, and I just being enthralled in a magic story every time i read them. What is it, like 18 days or something crazy 'til the new one? I need to get reading! :)

Thanks for getting me interested...

Unknown said...

So funny...I'm on book 5 right now too...re-reading them in preparation for book 7.

I have a good friend going to Columbia next year and need you to know her. She's fabulous!

Hope you are getting a chance to enjoy the sun these days. Come up to Saranac sometime!

Sean Mac said...

It has been a little over two weeks, and I finished Order of the Phoenix last night. I read 350 pages yeseterday alone. Many people said the fifth book was the hardest to read...in my opinion, it has thus far been the most fascinating.

Hope you are well!