Friday, December 28, 2007

Year in Review Part One









Top Ten Books of My Year (in no particular order)

1. Atonement by Ian McEwan. This book has so much to say about writing and fiction and life while at the same time being a fantastic period piece with incredible characters. A must read before you see the movie (which was well done).

2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safron Foer. This book is amazing. Period. Foer's post modern style is ridiculous and his characters so endearing. A unique, poetic treatment of 9/11.

3. Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen. This is a surprising choice for my top ten, but. The themes that come out of this book as well as the chronicles of a slice of U.S. history are quite thought-provoking.

4. A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. Hearing a first person memoir about what has been happening in Africa was staggering.

5. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. Simply the most poetic book I have ever read.

6. Hunting and Gathering by Anna Gavalda. A quick read with characters I want to be friends with.

7. The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. A book that completely challenged me and my faith in so many ways.

8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. There aren't words:)

9. The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. This was, I think, the most thought provoking book I read all year.

10. History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Another fiction writing poet, this story just makes your heart ache in the best of ways.

No comments: