Thursday, September 9, 2010

Overwhelmed by books.

September is my new years.  I've never left the school year calendar, so I am lucky enough to still relish in new pencils and notebooks and post-its each fall.  My summer days are pretty leisurely, but there is something in my persona that is absolutely ready to start using my tiny moleskin planner again.  I also leave behind my nice, neat world of summer reading and end up with massive stacks of books to read and the desire to read them all at once.  It is September where I usually start reading a few books at once, given that they are different genres.

These are my current genres and a few titles of what you might be seeing posted around here in the near future:

Young adult for school. I'm doing book clubs with my students all year, so I'll be in a young adult book at all times. We are starting with Sold by Patricia McCormick and in a month or two we are doing a "I read Harry Potter #7 way to fast" reread club!

Young adult for research. I've been trying to study books with female protagonists.  I'm going to revisit some favorites like Nancy Drew and Dicey's Song.

Fiction for book clubs and/or my sanity. Upcoming picks: March by Geraldine Brooks and A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert.

Nonfiction for research, to add to the female protagonist study: Shelf Discovery: Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading and Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned From Judy Blume.

Nonfiction to learn. Surprised by Hope by N.T. Wright. No Logo by Naomi Klein.

There is a good chance I'll be reading one of each at any given moment and I couldn't be more excited to get started.  There are just so many words to read! Cheers to the feeling of fall and the beginnings of great things (and the most glorious season of life)!

No comments: