Thursday, March 28, 2013

Graduate School + Moving = Not good for the old blog

I started a new graduate program in January and my usual reading-for-pleasure time has been confiscated by reading-for-school time, which, for the most part, has been really engaging and forced me to spend some time in young adult literature as well as reading some professional books.  I've been reminded of how powerful literature can be for my students when paired with opportunities for response.   I've written about the books I've read for class--Charlotte's WebWringerEsperanza RisingJoey Pigza Swallowed the Key, and Chains in my "reader's notebook" for class and  I'm hoping that I'll have the time to write about a few of them on this blog, but with the tempo of my spring so far, I'm a bit doubtful.  


I started packing up my old apartment about a month ago.  I moved in to the new apartment about a week and a half ago.   On top of moving, I had family in town, went out of town to visit family, had stacks of papers to grade and units to plan, and a major project for my graduate school class to complete.














I've read some incredible books in the midst of it all, that again, I hope to write about on Saturday mornings in the near future: Night by Elie Wiesel, Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge Danticat, and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.  Currently, I'm slowly making my way through A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, which was not only recommended by two of my favorite literary kindred cousins, but I was reading it on the subway one evening and a woman came up to me to tell me what an incredible book it is.

My days at home have been spent painting and cleaning and unpacking, so I'm hoping for a day in the near future to curl up and have a few hours to make some serious progress without wanting to just fall asleep immediately.  Here's a shot from this morning.  I'm hoping this is a sign that normal life is right around the corner.






No comments: