Sunday, January 20, 2008

An explanation? A refocus? Or new kind of focus? Something like that.


I've been writing a lot lately. For years I tried to put it off, but it is something that I can't avoid anymore. I admit that I was afraid. I can't tell you how many notebooks I've started with passion, but have left unfilled. Starting this blog a year ago was my first jump in forcing myself to feel comfortable with other people reading what I wrote. So. It's time to experiment a bit more and move beyond missing my years as an English major. Not that I will stop writing about reading...I can't help it. But I am going to start sharing some of my other stuff for about the 4 people who read my blog...but this is still scary, and I need to explain a few things.

1. Nothing posted here will be in "final draft" form per se. I am a ridiculous revisionist...perhaps to a fault.

2. It's experimental. The genre that I like to work in isn't exactly defined. Influences include Jack Kerouac's definition of the modern haiku, poetic writers like Jonathan Safron Foer and Arundati Roy, and subtle conflict that speaks to inner tension. Multi-genre writing.

3. Most of what I post for now can be described as a "small fictional moment" trying to incorporate all of the above. Things may or may not have been inpired by what I've seen or done, but are fictional in nature. "Small moments" actually comes from the lovely Teacher's College and is part of what we try to teach our students. My professional goal has been to practice what I'm asking my students to do.

4. I'm in the process of trying to develop a unique voice and confess that I feel sophomoric in my attempts. This is not easy for me to do, but it is good. I think. I'm going to start labeling my posts, and these will be called small moments.

Ok. Just needed to say that. Gracias.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolyn said...

You're writing makes me smile. I always save visits to your blog for times when I need a pick me up. I'm very excited to read all that you will be sharing :)

(P.S. I thought I made a mistake and trashed the comment and realized I hadn't made a mistake. Ah well, I'm learning this blog and comment thing at a very slow pace! Apologies.)