Sunday, March 2, 2008

Solitude Part Two

I promised more thoughts as I finished A Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. Part of me wishes I didn't, because I wasn't completely engaged or moved by the second half. I will be brief by remembering what I tell my students about writing: unless you care about what you're writing about, it won't be very good. That being said, here are the basic conclusion I've come to after reading without elaboration or explanation:

1. Solitude to recharge is healthy and good.

2. Solitude that is used to disengage from not only the world, but also friends and close relationships is dangerous, lonely and bad.

3. Dylan Ebdus is not one of my favorite characters.

4. Gentrification is complicated.

5. Music makes life better.

If anything thought provoking or interesting passes through my mind about this book, I will surely update this post. As for now, I have until the 16th to read Kerouac's "On the Road" and see the exhibition at the New York City Public Library. I have actually known him as a poet first, which is backwards for most people. His intentional craft and process in his writing completely intrigues me. More on that later.

No comments: